International Symposia on Down Syndrome
XVII Barcelona Down International Conference. «Children and Their Families: New Realities, New Responses». 9-10 November 2017. Col·legi Oficial de Metges de Barcelona. The Congress addressed the challenges created by the new realities we are now experiencing. Specialist speakers will analyze the current needs of children and young people with Down syndrome and provide guidance on the best ways to meet those needs.
Our international expert speakers included Professor María Soledad Cisternas Reyes, Special Envoy of the UN Secretary-General on Disability and Accessibility and recipient of Chile's National Prize for Human Rights. Cisternas Reyes was member and spokesperson of the delegation of Chile in the United Nations Ad Hoc Committee which prepared the draft of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
- XII Down Syndrome International Congress
Our professionals at the Catalan Down Syndrome Foundation (FCSD) and other professionals from all over the world offered a multidisciplinary approach to reflect on the paradigm shifts and new challenges facing the promotion and care given to the personal autonomy of people with Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities.
The Congress covered such topics as:
- Human rights
- Current lines of research
- New models and policies for personal care in an inclusive environment
- X Down Syndrome International Congress: Conquering Dignity. Barcelona, November 12th-13th, 2009. Auditorium, Caixa Catalunya's La Pedrera.
During this congress we will look into this issue from a multidimensional perspective (biological, psychopedagogical and social) discussing subjects like:
- Rights recognition and possible ethic conflicts.
- Advances in biomedical research.
- Confronting transition periods when building a life project.
- Analysis of models and policies of care in an inclusive environment.
- Family support through partnership and empowerment
It will feature keynote lectures by prominent professionals both national and international like: Tamar Heller (University of Illinois, Chicago), Jean Ann Summers (Beach Center on Disability, University of Kansas), Peter Kinsella (Paradigm, UK), Marc Antoni Broggi (Societat Catalana de Bioètica, Barcelona), Carmen García Pastor (Universidad de Sevilla); Salvador Martínez (Instituto de Neurociencias, Alicante); Núria Terribas (Institut Borja de Bioética, Barcelona), Josep M. Jarque (Pedagogue, Barcelona) and Alexandre Jollien (Philosopher, Switzerland) among others.
- IX Down Syndrome International Congress. CaixaForum, 9 November 2007. Some of the discussed topics: depression and Alzheimer's disease, sleep disorders, hygiene and health, sexuality and the community's commitment. Directed at relatives, professionals in the psycho-pedagogical sphere and teachers, including the presence of leading national and international professionals: S. Pueschel, M. Boada i J. Nisbet, among others, and the attendance of approximately 220 people.
- VIII International Symposium on Down syndrome: Building the Future. Questions for Today. Answers for Tomorrow. Advances in medicine, psychology and education.
- VII International Symposium on Down Syndrome. Becoming an Adult. Advances in medicine, psychology and education.
- VI International Symposium on Down Syndrome: People with Down Syndrome Moving Towards Adulthood. Advances in medicine, psychology and education.
- V International Symposium on Down Syndrome: Identity-Building Relationships to Others. Advances in medicine, psychology and education.
- IV International Symposium on Down Syndrome: Becoming a Person in One's Own Right. Advances in medicine, psychology and education.
- III International Symposium on Down Syndrome: Teenagers and Young Adults. Advances in medicine, psychology and education.
- II International Symposium on Down Syndrome: School-age children. Advances in medicine, psychology and education.
- I International Symposium on Down Syndrome: State of the Matter. Advances in medicine, psychology and education.